Pretty Formula makes you 10% happier in your daily Excel life. No more headache to read long and complex formulas in your spreadsheets!
- Pretty Formula automatically displays a long and complex formula in several lines with appropriate indentations.
- Therefore, you could understand better the logic in the formula.
- Anytime, you could format, modify, and unformat the formula in the editor.
- Finally, you could write a modified formula back to spreadsheet.
The quickest way to get started is to click below and download the workbook sample.
You don't need to find the add-in yourself, because opening the workbook will auto-open the Pretty Formula add-in (you may need to
Trust this add-in).
Then you will be able to navigate through complex formulas, and see how reading formulas become pleasant.
- Load the Pretty Formula add-in, click on the
Pretty Formulabutton in the ribbon under the
- Turn the toggle
- Select a cell that contains a long and complex formula (e.g., containing IF or VLOOKUP function), then you will see how it is formatted in the editor. If our algorithm considers unnecessary to change the format of the formula, the formula will be unchanged.
- Navigate through cells in the workbook, the editor always tries to format the formula of the selected cell.
- You could edit the formula in the editor, that will not impact the cell content immediately.
Unformat) button tries to format (resp., unformat) whatever in the editor.
- Manually adjusting
Width Limitgives you different formats of a formula.
- Finally, the
Unformat & Write to cellbutton tries to unformat the formula in the editor and write it back to the selected cell.
- Turn the toggle
Offwhen you want to disassociate the editor to your selection on the workbook.
For the time being, Pretty Formula is the only one formatter of formulas listing in the Microsoft add-in store. It is the version 2 of our previous product "Formula Formatter". Pretty Formula is innovative in the following aspects:
- We have created a brand-new framework to intelligently pretty-print an Excel formula. For example, a function or an arithmetic expression will no longer be formatted in the same way all the time; many factors such as width limit, its surroundings, and other parts of the formula will be taken into account.
- The framework is extensible such that we could easily add or remove formatting rules for a class of formulas.
- The editor is based on Monaco Editor, that nobody uses so far for formula displaying. Monaco Editor has many advanced features that we will leverage for formula editing, such that coloring, intellisense, auto-complete, etc.